Giancarlo Monsalve Leyton (Giancarlo Monsalve) is globally recognized as one of the most important, versatile and secure leading lirico spinto tenors of his generation, performing the most demanding Operas in the major Stages around the World. Many of these performances had being broadcasted by Radio, TV stations and Cinemas.
Since his absolute debut in the 2006 season of the Teatro Comunale di Bologna, Italy: Giancarlo Monsalve has being invited as Leading Tenor guest at the Zurich Opera House; Regio of Turin; the Arena di Verona; the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden in London, Nice Opera; Bayerische Staatsoper in Munich; National Opera of Greece; Washington National Opera; Sferisterio of Macerata; The Dallas Opera; Teatro Nacional de São Carlos in Lisbon; Dijon; Angers-Nantes; Lausanne; Festival of Solothurn; Avenches Festival; Wielki Opera of Warsaw; Deutsche Oper am Rhein; Cologne Opera; Hannover; Leipzig; NCPA National Centre for the Performing Arts in Mumbai; Royal Opera House of the Sultanate of Oman in Muscat; Seoul Arts Center; among others.
Recent performances with outstanding success are: 2018 Carmen at he Hong Kong Opera, Carmen at the National Opera of Albania in Tirana, and a Gala Tour in Australia with the Melbourne Orchestra. 2017 Tosca at the Opera of Montreal, Pagliacci and Cavalleria Rusticana at the Gozo Opera in Malta. Recent debuts: Manrico in Il Trovatore, Pollione in Norma, Otello, Andrea Chenier, Chavalier des Grieux in Manon Lescaut and Canio in Pagliacci.
Upcoming on April 2019 Monsalve's debut in the National Opera of Chile in Santiago, opening season, with the Opera that was his debut in the USA on 2013 Opening season at the Washington Opera House La Forza del Destino.
Early life and studies
Born in the Chilean city of Valparaíso, where he began his studies of fine arts at the School of "Bellas Artes" in that city. Monsalve began his musical studies on 2001 at the Conservatory Izidor Handler Viña del Mar with soprano Nora Lopez Von Vriessen and tenor Mario Barrientos. Since 2004, Monsalve improves his studies in Italy with soprano Mirella Freni and bass Leodino Ferri - on the path of Ettore Campogalliani and Arturo Melocchi school -. Monsalve had masterclasses with with soprano Montserrat Caballé and tenors Gianfranco Cecchele, Corneliu Murgu, Lando Bartolini, Dano Raffanti and Nicola Martinucci. Has been scenically trained with actor and Chilean director Juan Edmundo González del Valle and Hollywood Stars Coach Bernard Hiller.
Monsalve has worked with conductors: Patrick Fournillier; Yves Abel; Nayden Todorov; Riccardo Muti; Carlo Rizzi; Paolo Carignani; Xian Zhang; Antonello Allemandi; Oleg Caetani; Julian Kovatchev; Roberto Rizzi Brignoli; Carlo Montanaro; Jean-Yves Ossonce; Frank Beermann, among others. He has also worked with stage directors: Hugo De Ana; Francesca Zambello; Jean-Romain Vesperini; Patrice Caurier et Moshe Leiser; Giancarlo del Monaco; Gianni Quaranta; Peter Konwitschny; Lorenzo Mariani; Mario de Carlo; Gianfranco de Bosio; Liliana Cavani; Garnett Bruce; Alberto Triola; Stephen Langridge; Carlos Wagner, among others.
Awards and Honors
- (Honor) On August 11, 2010 the Government of Chile together with the city of Valpartaíso have named Giancarlo Monsalve as Cultural Ambassador conferring him the UNESCO Medal.
- (Award) On December 6, 2015 the Mascagnian Committee of Bagnara di Romagna, awarded Giancarlo Monsalve with the 35th Golden Mascagni.
- (Nomination) In June 2016 Giancarlo Monsalve was one of 22 nominated by the Broadway World Magazine and the Dallas Opera for the prize (Maria Callas Artist of the Year 2016) for his Mario Cavaradosi in the Opera Tosca. The award was finally delivered to the mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato
Cinema, Radio and TV
- Cinema On July 15, 2015 Giancarlo Monsalve made his debut in cinemas of the whole European continent on Live Streaming with the Opera Carmen and from December 2015 projected in the major cinemas of the world
- Radio and TV Giancarlo Monsalve was featured in several television and radio shows around the World, with personal interviews, news, concerts and complete operas.